ICO 1. The complainant has requested the University of Sussex (the university) to disclose the final contract between it and Chartwells, the service provider responsible for providing catering services to the university over a 10 year term.
2. Initially, the university applied section 22 of the FOIA. However, it later changed its position and published certain sections of the contract but withheld other sections under section 41 and 43 of the FOIA. During the Commissioner’s investigation the university decided to release further information to the complainant.
3. The Commissioner has considered the remaining withheld information. It is the Commissioner’s decision that sections 41 and 43 of the FOIA do not apply.
4. The Commissioner therefore requires the university to take the following steps to ensure compliance with the legislation:
– the university should disclose Schedule 2 Part 8 – the content of the column entitled ‘Strategy Deliverables’ and Schedule 4 paragraphs 4.2 and 4.1 and Appendix 1 to the complainant.
5. The university must take these steps within 35 calendar days of the date of this decision notice. Failure to comply may result in the Commissioner making written certification of this fact to the High Court pursuant to section 54 of the Act and may be dealt with as a contempt of court.
 UKICO FS50519211
England and Wales
Updated: 06 December 2021; Ref: scu.527773