Harman v Glencross: 1986

On the divorce, the wife applied for a property transfer order in relation to the jointly owned matrimonial home. A creditor of her husband then obtained a charging order on H’s interest. She sought its varation. The creditor said that there was little point in this since any transfer in her favour would be void against the husband’s trustee in bankruptcy under section 42.
Held: The decision in In Re Holliday was very much against the run of recent authorities. Balcombe LJ rejected the creitor’s suggestion saying: ‘the wife gave up her claim for periodical payments, and it seems to me that this constituted valuable consideration on her part which would preclude a trustee in bankruptcy of the husband from maintaining that the transfer of property order was void as against him – see Re Abbott [1983] Ch 45.’
Balcombe LJ
[1986] Fam 81, [1986] 2 FLR 241
Bankruptcy Act 1914 42
CitedIn re Holliday CA 1981
A property adjustment order cannot be made against a bankrupt former spouse because the property of the bankrupt vests in the trustee in bankruptcy against whom an order under section 24 cannot be made. It was highly unlikely that postponement of . .
[1981] 1 Ch 405
CitedIn re Abbott ChD 1983
W divorced H, and under a property adjustment order made by consent, the jointly owned matrimonial home was transferred to her outright. H was made bankrupt less than two years later, and the trustee sought a declaration that the consent order or . .
[1983] 1 Ch 45

Cited by:
CitedDonohoe v Ingram ChD 20-Jan-2006
The appellant had lived with the bankrupt for several years, and sought an order delayng sale of the house they had lived in until their children had grown up. She said the circumstances were exceptional.
Held: The fact that the delay might . .
[2006] EWHC 282 (Ch)
CitedHaines v Hill and Another CA 5-Dec-2007
On the divorce, the husband was ordered to transfer his share in the house to the wife. On his bankruptcy shortly after, the order was confirmed. After the wife sold the property at a profit, the trustee in bankruptcy applied to set the transfer . .
[2007] EWCA Civ 1284

These lists may be incomplete.
Updated: 13 December 2020; Ref: scu.238750